[Asterisk-Users] yet another Asterisk and VMware question

Bruce Leetch leetch_bruce at emc.com
Fri Aug 12 11:27:47 MST 2005

I looked through this forum and other lists trying to get a definitive
answer to the VMware question...

I have a Windows 2003 Server box that is my development machine. It is fully
loaded with many s/w packages, dev tools, etc. It's not very feasible to
convert this box to Linux without losing an awful lot of stuff.

On it, I'm running VMware GSX 3.1.0. Under VMware, I have a virtual machine
running Red Hat Line Enterprise Server 3.0. Under this VM Linux I've
installed, compiled, and configured all of the latest cvs Asterisk and
associated software. This is a sandbox installation that I just want to test
various features of Asterisk. It by no means is (or ever will be) a
production machine.

I've purchased a TDM11B card and have installed it in the box. Windows sees
it as a PCI Simple Communications board. A Linux "lspci" doesn't show
anything even vaguely resembling this card. This troubles me.

When I do the "modprobe wctdm" (as prescribed in
http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=configuration#TDM11B
<http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=configuration#TDM11B> , I have all my
conf files configured per this site), I get:

[root at atg-sandbox-rh root]# modprobe zaptel

[root at atg-sandbox-rh root]# modprobe wctdm

/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.ELsmp/misc/wctdm.o: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.ELsmp/misc/wctdm.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.ELsmp/misc/wctdm.o failed

/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.ELsmp/misc/wctdm.o: wctdm failed

Am I banging my head against at Windows/VMware/Linux/Asterisk
incompatibility? Or can this work and I'm just doing something stupid
(always a possibility with me).

With a great amount of effort, I can drum up a spare machine, but I REALLY
don't want to do this and would much prefer the VMware setup. Any advice
will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Bruce