[Asterisk-Users] Weird issues with TDM400P

Jeremy Gault jgault at WINWORLD.CC
Fri Aug 12 08:03:29 MST 2005

We have a TDM400P installed here with four FXS modules.  It works well
except for a couple of issues:

First, I have a Panasonic KX-TG2431 telephone (so others can reach me
when I am in o ther parts of the building) hooked up to one of the FXS
ports.  When the other end hangs up, I get the usual CPC disconnect
signal.  After the CPC, sometimes it will go to a dialtone, and other
times a reorder.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind
what it does, it's random.  That in and of itself is not a problem, but
it did seem odd.  However, sometimes during the reorder (after about 3
seconds) the reorder stops and I get an FSK data burst (assumedly the
VMWI.)  My understanding is that the data burst isn't supposed to happen
until *after* my phone goes on-hook.  Any idea what's up here?

Second, one of our ports has static on it.  A tenant moved in and we
configured their fax for our fourth (until then unused) FXS port.  They
had numerous fax problems, and when I connected a buttset up to their
wall jack, there were minor static issues.  I swapped their fax
connection to a different port on the TDM400P, and the static went
away.  I put a different line (to elsewhere in the building) into their
usual fax port on the TDM400P, and the static showed up there.  So, the
problem follows the FXS port, and not the line itself.  For now, I have
given them the FXS port I was using for my Panasonic, and put my
Panasonic on the noisy port.  It's not all that noticeable, but of
course the fax doesn't like any noise at all.  Any idea what this could
be?  I haven't done much troubleshooting yet, but I plan on taking down
the * box and re-seating the FXS module.  If that doesn't work, I'll
swap it and another FXS module on the board around to see if the problem
follows the module or the socket.  Other than that, any recommendations?

Third (minor) issue, which affects all the ports, but I am using my
phone as an example: I can call from my desk phone (Polycom IP 501) to
my analog phone and answer.  Then I can hit flash on the analog phone,
and I'll hear the usual double-click on the Polycom as the analog phone
flashes.  However, between those two clicks, there's some sort of weird
noise.  It's not a radio station or anything.  It's more like a whine of
sorts.  The same noise can be heard by hooking up a buttset to one of
the ports and putting it in monitor mode (where it monitors the line,
but doesn't go offhook.)  Is it normal for Digium cards to generate this
noise, or does this indicate something is wrong with my card?  (Our
Comdial PBX at church does a similar type of thing when flashing on an
analog extension, but that still doesn't tell me if it's normal or
not.)  Anyone else see this same type of thing?

Fourth: I get this message in the log (related to our analog FXS ports)
Aug 11 16:46:17 WARNING[23855]: zt hook failed: Device or resource busy

I think this may have something to do with getting a dialtone instead of
reorder after hangup (the first thing I mentioned.)  Not 100% sure though.

Anyone have any ideas on any of these?  If you can share I'd appreciate
it.  TIA.

          Jeremy

--
Jeremy Gault            <jgault at winworld.cc>
Network Administrator, WinWorld Corporation