[Asterisk-Users] OT: Sendmail question

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Aug 12 07:59:08 MST 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 07:09:45PM +1000, Rudolf Ladyzhenskii wrote:

> I want voicemails to be delivered to recepients by e-mail. I have set up
> voicenail, and I can see asterisk is using sendmail to send messages out.

[snip]

> I got a book on sendmail and it looks quite complex.

Right. Asterisk needs "a sendmail". A program that provides basically
the same command-line interface sendmail provides for sending messages.

There are currently many of those. Fedora includes not only Sendmail,
but Postfix as well. I personally find Postfix much sainer than
Sendmail.

Furthermore, what you basically want is a rather simple setup: relay all
local messages through a certain "SMTP server" to some remote locations.
There a number of programs, such as ssmtp and nullmailer, that do
exactly that, without keeping a local queue at all.

(Their error handling is problematic: network errors may mean lost
messages: they don't queue. But then again, they're much simpler.)

So in short: you have a whole range of programs that provide "a
sendmil". Not necessarily the complex Sendmail your book was written
about.