[Asterisk-Users] real-time priority , -p switch

Joseph syscon at interbaun.com
Thu Aug 11 17:23:41 MST 2005

In this case could somebody explain to me why run asterisk with ''-p"
switch?
According to "asterisk man" explanation for -p is as follow:

"If supported by the operating system (and executing as root), attempt
run with realtime  priority for  increased  performance  and
responsiveness within the Asterisk process, at the expense of other
programs running on the same machine."

Since Linux is not RTOS, why some folks are using this "-p" switch?
It has no effect on standard Linux box.

--
#Joseph