[Asterisk-Users] Install just to play with experiment

Michael Jones m_g_j at michaelandholly.com
Thu Aug 11 15:12:57 MST 2005

I'm an extreme newbie at Asterisk (medium experiencee with Linux in general)

I am attempting to install an asterisk system just for experimentation.

I'd like to play with the system to see how well it works for a home/office
environment (and to see if my hardware will handle it)

I don't have an FXO card and it seems that most instructions elude that it's
required.

I've installed the system and also installed asterisk via apt and realized
it doesn't come with configuration files (silly me) of any kind.

I've also installed the AMP (Asterisk Management Portal) web interface.. (it
"sorta" works.. but some configuration settings come up with errors.. I'm
assuming that the configuration files I have are wrong and I screwed it up
somewhere - pretty safe assumption).

Is there a quick configuration that can be put into place to simply
experiment with the system (like create a couple of extensions wit Xlite and
make a "internal phone system" in my office that doesn't really go out
anywhere - or maybe connects to a voip provider later)?

Thanks