[Asterisk-Users] USB handset wanted

Bates, Curtis Curtis.Bates at AGEDWARDS.com
Thu Aug 11 06:51:33 MST 2005

I have been playing with an MV100 from mvox (www.mvox.com) and a Phoenix Audio Duet (www.phnxaudio.com).  Both are USB Audio Devices.  With X-Lite, I use them like a speakerphone.  I had X-Lite play the ring to the audio device.  I also used X-Lite's interface for all interaction with it.

I like the MV100 for my personal use best.  It is small and cheap ($40 at Radio Shack), it also had better echo cancellation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ondrej Valousek [mailto:webserv at s3group.cz]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 2:30 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] USB handset wanted

Matt,

You have forgotten the ringer.
In fact, I don't care that much about LCD & buttons. I want to use it
with something like X-lite.
Initially, I used machine builtin soundcard with X-Lite (worked well)
but then I realized that if the phone is supposed to compete with the
standard analog phone, it must have a working ringer.

 From what I see I suppose that every handset with builtin ringer must
be recongized to the OS as 2 USB soundcards - one for speaker/mike, the
second as a ringer.
But I could be wrong.

Our company is completely linux based and If I manage, it will have a
linux based PBX as well (nothing against Windows, though).
Thanks,

Ondrej

Matt Riddell wrote:

> Ondrej Valousek wrote:
>
>> Hello all asterisk users!
>>
>> Question: Does anybody know about any good USB handset that would
>> understand SIP and Asterisk and will run with Linux?
>

> USB Phones don't understand anything.  They are effectively four
> components:
>
>     a) Microphone
>     b) Speaker
>     c) LCD Display
>     d) Buttons
>
> You have to design everything on the client side.  If you don't
> understand USB extensively this would be rater a difficult task.
>
>> I have found tons of them, but they are mainly only supported in
>> Windows environment.
>

> Because people have written drivers for them (often the manufacturer)
>
>> I would like to set up new phone system in our company that would be
>> based on asterisk acting as PBX and SIP.
>

> With the clients or the server running Linux?
>
>> If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Any help would be much
>

> Well, it's definitely doable, I have written 2 stacks for usb phones,
> although writing it raw (just via usb access) in Linux would be a
> considerable undertaking.
>
> I would recommend that you:
>
> 1) Find a phone where the usb audio device is recognised in Linux, and
> then move towards controlling the LCD and buttons.  If you're lucky,
> the LCD will have something like an HD44870 chip controlling it, but
> bear in mind you're obviously going to need to open it up to check the
> chip.
>
> 2) Run a usb sniffer and see what you can get out of the keypad.
>
> 3) Write an IAXClient based softphone and include hardware control
> with it.
>
> 4) Rinse, Repeat.
>
> :)

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:

A.G. Edwards & Sons' outgoing and incoming e-mails are electronically
archived and subject to review and/or disclosure to someone other
than the recipient.