[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Question: Building an Asterisk system to replace an old PBX but using existing phone

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Aug 11 06:07:43 MST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 08:34, Sean Rima wrote:
> I have a brief from a local hotel to build a PBX using Asterisk but they
> want to use their exisiting telephones and wiring from an old PBX that
> no longer works.

Can you plug one of the phones into a REGULAR telephone line and get dialtone
and take and place calls?

If the answer is yes, you can use a te110p (T1 card) and an FXS channel bank
to connect the phones to Asterisk.

If not, you're SOL unless you can find some kind of proprietary-to-standard
phone interface, and the chances of that are slim to none.

-A.