[Asterisk-Users] SRV implementation supporting priority

Michael Lunsford michael.lunsford at cbeyond.net
Wed Aug 10 12:48:28 MST 2005

I would love to volunteer myself for the patch ... oh, if I could only
write C :-)

I will be more than happy to contribute to the discussions and design as
well as provide testing for it.

Regarding the A record lookup, I have upgraded to the latest dev and am
seeing that the Asterisk does perform an SRV query first.

Thanks,
Michael

If
> >it gets a response, it will use that address to send the REGISTER. If
it
> >does not, then it will launch an SRV query and use it. If SRV is
> >enabled, it should try to use that first. For example, the A record
for
> >acmemanufacturing.com may point to their web server and they wish to
use
> >the same domain for their sip services (ie.
> >joeuser at acmemanufacturing.com).  If they try to register
> >joeuser at acmemanufacturing.com to their SIP provider, the asterisk
will
> >resolve the web server via A record and send the request there.
> >
> >Using 1.0.9
>
> Sounds like you've volunteered yourself to make a patch for
multi-weight
> SRV lookup.  :-)
>
> On your other comment: Recent CVS-HEAD code does NOT exhibit the
> characteristics you describe for SRV vs. A record lookup - it seems to
> work in an expected and standards compliant way (well, at least for
the
> first SRV record.)  I just tested it with a single "register" request,
and
> here is the tethereal output after launch of Asterisk:
>
>   0.000000 my.domain.com -> ns.domain.com DNS Standard query SRV
> _sip._udp.example.com
>   0.203041 ns.domain.com -> my.domain.com DNS Standard query response
SRV
> 0 0 5060 cookies.example.com
>   0.203572 my.domain.com -> ns.domain.com DNS Standard query A
> cookies.example.com
>   0.305008 my.domain.com -> ns.domain.com DNS Standard query response
> 213.21.191.70
>
> This domain (in my test environment) has an A record associated with
the
> "example.com" record which is different than the A record associated
with
> cookies.example.com.
>
> *CLI> show version
> Asterisk CVS-HEAD built by root at hello.domain.com on a i386 running