[Asterisk-Users] SRV implementation supporting priority

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Aug 10 09:52:58 MST 2005

At 9:49 AM -0400 on 8/10/05, Michael Lunsford wrote:
>Does anyone know when Asterisk is supposed to support prioritization of
>the SRV records returned. I think it's accepted that right now the
>Asterisk always just uses the first record returned regardless of
>priority.
>
>I also noticed, on register, that it queries for an A record first. If
>it gets a response, it will use that address to send the REGISTER. If it
>does not, then it will launch an SRV query and use it. If SRV is
>enabled, it should try to use that first. For example, the A record for
>acmemanufacturing.com may point to their web server and they wish to use
>the same domain for their sip services (ie.
>joeuser at acmemanufacturing.com).  If they try to register
>joeuser at acmemanufacturing.com to their SIP provider, the asterisk will
>resolve the web server via A record and send the request there.
>
>Using 1.0.9

Sounds like you've volunteered yourself to make a patch for multi-weight SRV lookup.  :-)

On your other comment: Recent CVS-HEAD code does NOT exhibit the characteristics you describe for SRV vs. A record lookup - it seems to work in an expected and standards compliant way (well, at least for the first SRV record.)  I just tested it with a single "register" request, and here is the tethereal output after launch of Asterisk:

  0.000000 my.domain.com -> ns.domain.com DNS Standard query SRV _sip._udp.example.com
  0.203041 ns.domain.com -> my.domain.com DNS Standard query response SRV 0 0 5060 cookies.example.com
  0.203572 my.domain.com -> ns.domain.com DNS Standard query A cookies.example.com
  0.305008 my.domain.com -> ns.domain.com DNS Standard query response A 213.21.191.70

This domain (in my test environment) has an A record associated with the "example.com" record which is different than the A record associated with cookies.example.com.

*CLI> show version
Asterisk CVS-HEAD built by root at hello.domain.com on a i386 running OpenBSD on 2005-08-05 16:42:52 UTC

JT