[Asterisk-Users] will a firewall slow down asterisk?

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Wed Aug 10 05:40:09 MST 2005

Technically, yes it will. The question should really be "is the latency
tolerable?"

I run (as do many folks here) mine from behind a Linksys firewall at
home and I find the latency increase to be acceptable. I use Broadvoice
as a provider and have 3 other extensions connected to it from remote
locations (2 in the UK and one in Canada) all behind their firewalls.

Professionally I run one that sits behind a Checkpoint FW1 NG firewall
running on a Sun box and it too is acceptable.

Mark

Steven Langley wrote:
> Hi there
>

> I am in the process of setting up a production Asterisk server, which
> will mainly be used for meetme conferencing. I am considering running a
> firewall, but wondering whether this will slow Asterisk down if all
> packets are being scanned. Any ideas?
>

> Many thanks
>

> Steven Langley

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI