[Asterisk-Users] Build on Itanium fails

Jonas Arndt jonas_arndt at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 18:00:44 MST 2005

Steve,

Indeed a kernel oops can happen. I am not going to in detail explain,
but I can tell you that I have seen it happen with dar (Linux backup
software) using zlib. This has been confirmed by the dar community.
Regarding a sheltered life, no I have not such a life. I work with
software support and design. I know that bugs are there in every
software. When doing troubleshooting, identifying bugs is an essential
thing. Figuring out if the customer has a messed up environment (like I
might have on my Itanium system), or if the problem they are
experiencing  is due to a bug , is part of the troubleshooting.

I am not at all looking for a bug-free software. There is no such thing.
However, when I am faced with a problem of a segfault I don't
immediately suspect that it is a bug as basic as some conf files
missing. I first assume that there is something wrong with my
environment (compiler flags and stuff). Then I suspect there is a lack
of Itanium support in the code. Specially as I have seen segfaults when
building well established applications as Mozillla and kde on Itanium.
For Mozilla there was a lack of support for Itanium and they fixed that
later.

Now I am really curious as to why I stirred up so many feelings when I
pointed out that a software shouldn't segfault from the lack of some
configuration files. I honestly didn't believe that Asterisk had this
issue. Missing files leading to segfaults was so far out. In my case it
didn't help generating those files. In my case the segfaults were not
caused by those missing files.

When it comes to a propper installation, I tried this this afternoon on
a regular Intel SuSE 9.3 box. It seems to work just fine. I don't
consider anybody that uses and promotes Open Source software an idiot. I
am really sorry if I said something that made you feel that way.

I have gotten all the pointers I could ask for currently. I have some
further troubleshooting to carry out. If you don't have any information
about compiling the GSM codecs on Itanium I will not reply to any
further posting. Polluting this mailing list with this type of endless
discussions about things that don't have any relevance to the product
doesn't make anybody happy.

Thanks,

// Jonas