[Asterisk-Users] Build on Itanium fails

Rollin Weeks rollin.sling at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:03:23 MST 2005

Hi Jonas,

You may know this already, a codec is an algorithm for compressing and
uncompressing some signal. Often the signal was originally analog, but has
been digitized to reduce size/bandwidth and to store it in files. The GSM
codec is important in asterisk, because most or all music playback is done
using it. It is also one of the codec options for VoIP. I think Windows .wav
files are translated to the gsm codec format. Asterisk will be hurting if it
doesn't have the GSM codec available.

Compiling code is a challenging problem. You have to know the correct or
preferred compiler options. You need the matching libraries, and you need
the include files (in this case the .h files for the C compilation). The
make
file has to tell the compiler where to find everything. If you have more
than
one version, sometimes it doesn't access the right one. If multiple sets of
code are involved, you often have to compile them in the right order. I
seem to recall that libpri and zapata and zaptec have to be ompiled before
you can do asterisk itself. It's frustating, but you have to follow through
each of the errors until you have eliminated all of them.

Good luck!

Rollin