[Asterisk-Users] zaphfc syslog flooding

Tobias Jönsson asterisk at tobiasjonsson.se
Tue Aug 9 10:26:12 MST 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Arik Funke wrote:

> my zaphfc is flooding my syslog with two messages (even without asterisk
> running). Is this "normal"?:
> zaphfc: bchan rx fifo not enough bytes to receive! (z1=1360, z2=1353,
> wanted 8 got 7), probably a buffer overrun.
> zaphfc: dropped audio (z1=2712, z2=2695, wanted 8 got 17, dropped 9).

Try googling these error messages and you'll get a lot of hints.
Here's my suggestions anyway:

1. Are you using IDE disks on your server? You shouldn't, or at least you
should set hdparm -u1 /dev/hd?.

2. cat /proc/interrupts to see if the zaphfc card is sharing irq with any
other card. It shouldn't. If your motherboard supports IO-APIC you could
try enabling it, otherwise try a different PCI slot.

3. Try removing other hardware that might require too much time during an
interrupt. For example I had a r8169 network card that caused a buffer
overflow every 10 seconds if the Ethernet cable was disconnected.

4. Use a current bristuff version (currently 0.2.0-RC8n). If you have
several zaphfc cards in the same machine, try out Florz's patches
<http://zaphfc.florz.dyndns.org/>. (Always get only one hfc card working
before adding more.)

5. Your hardware might have problems with the many interrupts the zaphfc
card generates. Some motherboards simply cannot take care of the 8000
interrupts per second these cards generate.

Good luck!

--
Best Regards,
Tobias Jönsson, Lund SE