[Asterisk-Users] Both lines in an ATA using the same UID/PASS

Deon mr_e_glitch at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 08:25:09 MST 2005

I have an ATA186, a tech just told me to set UID0 and UID1 to the same
username, and PASS0 and PASS1 to the same password.  In my mind, this
would seem to have the unit registering twice under the same account,
which Asterisk wouldn't support. When a call comes in, it should go to the
last line to register. So to me, this means the call could sometimes come
in on Line 1 and sometimes on Line 2.

The tech told me I've got it wrong, if you set both lines to the same
uid/pass, then it puts the unit into a 2 line mode, it won't double
register. An incoming call will come in on line1, and if it's busy, go
over to line2. It disables call-waiting in a way, kind of like an
automatic rollover.

He believes the Linksys/Sipura's would do the same as well.

So who's right?