[Asterisk-Users] [OT] Yoda Communications' VG-400 (4 Port FXO and 2 Port FXO/2 Port FXS)

JP Carballo jplc at nf2x.com
Mon Aug 8 13:30:33 MST 2005

With the lack of info on Yoda Communications in Taiwan and their
hardware, I thought I'd post my experience.

I got my hands on a few H.323 VG-400's and VG-100TA's.
http://www.yoda.com.tw/model.php?type=VoIP_Solution&pname=VG400

2 of the VG-400's were 2FXO/2FXS models.
A couple were deployed to SE Asia, where we planned to offer our services.

Originally, I ran a GnuGK server as per Yoda's instructions.
It turned out that they were using GnuGK internally.
They run their own server for clients to test and also have an embedded
version of GnuGK for sale which they call GK Pro.
Pretty soon, we got everything configured and running and had a couple
of months of live testing.

 From the test runs, we found our clients needed a couple of additional
services and GnuGK simply did not have the flexibility to provide them.
We decided that for the final system, we would ask outside help.
However, with one exception, each time we inquired from a company, we
were encouraged to shift to SIP.
What to do with the H.323 units? I asked Yoda and they provided us with
the SIP firmware with which to upgrade the units!
Setting up TFTP and upgrading the firmware was trivial and painless.

Since then, I've installed * and though we've hit a couple of
configuration issues, I haven't seen a show stopper yet.
I didn't even have to deal with echoes like when we first configured the
units using H.323.
Everything's chugging along nicely and we've started running live tests
to and from SE Asia again.

After this phase, I'll delve into the H.323 support in *. We still have
quite a few VG-100TA's which could not be programmed to use SIP.
Besides, H.323 is still being used where we deploy.

Through all this, just one thing surprised me. Yoda seemed to have never
played with * inhouse like they did with GnuGK. They had tested with FWD
and Bell (no idea what the actual site is), but not *.

I'll post the VG-400 settings here and on voip-info.org as soon as I get
my notes together.

Overall, I'm happy. It has sturdy construction, standard features, and
most of all works just fine with *.

--
JP Carballo

http://www.netfone2x.com
Bringing the world closer.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level,
I'm really quite busy.