[Asterisk-Users] Snom 360 and firmware 4.0 problem

Nils Ohlmeier Nils.Ohlmeier at snom.de
Mon Aug 8 03:42:10 MST 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 22:34, Remco Barende wrote:
> Did you install the license file as per the instructions? Starting version
> 4.0 Snom thought it would be nice to be a real pain in the ass to people
> with a lot of Snom phones. You need to go to a webpage and enter the mac
> address of the phone and they will send you a license file.

If you are using a setting server, to provide the settings for your snom
phones, the upgrade of a bunch of 360's is pretty easy. Just include in the
settings the new option "license_url" which points to a directory of a
webserver where the licenses are stored. For example:
license_url: http://localwebserver/{mac}.txt
would cause the phone trying to download the file with its mac address (with
extension .txt) from the localwebserver. If this is a valid license file, it
will be installed automatically. And this happens only once. When the phone
already has a license installed it will never ask for this URL again.

Regards
  Nils Ohlmeier

> Only after you install the license file the phone will make a SIP
> connection.
>
> How nice if you have approx 40 phones that need upgrading :(
>
> Snom never replied to my complaint about the license thing, i have 40
> users that are unable to do that themselves unless I take 3 hours per user
> to explain it and I can do it quicker myself......
>
> I have the same problems too btw, low memory errors and broken displays on
> some phones (one or two lines are completely dead). I still have to RMA
> the phones.
>
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Michael George wrote:
> > I have a pair of snom 360s at a customer and they were giving me Low
> > Memory errors.  The distributor suggested updating the firmware.  I did
> > that, to the one just below 4.0 (which wasn't released yet).  One of the
> > phones is still giving the Low Memory error every 3-4 days.  The other
> > one had a broken display that was just RMA'd, so it' hasn't been up long
> > enough to know if the error occurs on that one, too.
> >
> > The distributor's latest suggestion was to go to the newest firmware,
> > 4.0.  I did that on the new 360 (from the RMA) and with the same account
> > settings as the one it was replacing, it could not register with *.
> >
> > Since I was in a pinch, I "updated" the firmware down to the latest below
> > 4.0 and the phone works just fine.
> >
> > Does anyone with more knowledge than I know what might be going on?
> > Maybe a new default setting in 4.0 that's breaking things?
> >
> > Thank you.

snom technology AG            Gradestr. 46    D-12347 Berlin
Nils Ohlmeier
mailto:nils.ohlmeier at snom.de  http://www.snom.com