[Asterisk-Users] request for clarification on Asterisk T.38 bounty

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Aug 7 18:18:41 MST 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:

> produce anything more than a botch for it. A couple of people have said
> they are reworking sip.c to make the addition of new codecs, transports,
> etc. and their renegotiation function smoothly. I haven't seen any
> results so far. I did only minimal work on sip.c in the hope that one
> those efforts would bear fruit in * 1.2.

This is a confirmed situation; once the 1.2-rc has been rolled out
(meaning the 1.2 CVS branch has been created), Olle and I will be
starting a new version of chan_sip, taking into account all that has
been learned in the last 12+ months regarding protocol conformance,
interoperability, modularity and other issues. One of the big items on
that list is to make chan_sip have _zero_ assumptions about what sort
(and what number) of media streams will be associated with a session, so
that adding support for alternative media streams will be significantly
more likely (still not trivial, obviously).