[Asterisk-Users] Dialplan mapping for multiple outbound providers to determine best rates

gw at adcomcorp.com gw at adcomcorp.com
Sat Aug 6 17:38:41 MST 2005

Hello All,

Right now I have several providers.  Voipjet, Teliax, and more recently
Broadvoice.

Broadvoice gives me unlimited to europe, but what I want to do is
determine the best way to setup a dialplan so for example, certain
countries will go through the cheapest route.

I am really only interested in Poland, Russia and Turkey. Poland is free
on broadvoice, but not for cellular, which I may want to go through my
pots line which has decent rates and good quality with an ld provider.

My question is, with the dialplan, if you assign a number like 0114861.
to terminate one provider, but do an include afterwards and include lets
say, 011486135., will asterisk automatically route to the 011486135 or
does it need to be specified in before the first include?

Also, does anyone have any examples of how they route calls to the
proper provider in extensions.conf, or must some extensive dialplan
arrangements be assigned?

The idea is simple, rather than having a huge extensions.conf with a lot
of different exchanges, can asterisk determine the best route on its own
based on includes, or must I have different lines in extensions.conf for
asterisk to determine it?  The whole idea being, if broadvoice is down,
I would want a backup, but not neccesarily specify 10 lines of scripting
for each country code and area code.

I would think this is an important thing for high volume usages to save
money.  Basically, do any of the modules allow this in a simple manner,
for example, where you can use a database to specify rates per call, and
have asterisk decide the best route.

This is a similar idea to LCR (least cost routing) on normal pbx
systems.

Any advice would be nice, since I'm sure those users who use asterisk
for more commercial purposes have figured our a way to do this...

Regards,
Greg