[Asterisk-Users] Is this echo problem down to IP Phone hardware?

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Fri Aug 5 10:55:21 MST 2005

This known as is 'acoustic echo' or 'room reverb' and involves mathematics that is quite a bit different from that used when cancelling regular 'reflected electrical signal' echos, as the signal is being acousically distorted as it echos around the room. On many handsfree handsets it doesn't manifest itself until you move into a physically large room, which increases the reflection delay and overwhelms the internal mechanisms.

It would need to be handled internally by the handset or you would need to insert a hardware echo canceller capable of dealing with this type of echo, assuming your signal is exposed on a T1 somewhere. If it's IP all the way for you then you're really just down to the handset vendors as far as I know - Asterisk doesn't currently offer any form of echo cancellation on the VoIP side.

Hope that helps.

Kris Boutilier
Information Systems Coordinator
Sunshine Coast Regional District