[Asterisk-Users] newbiew extensions.conf question

jj jjones at quiddesign.com
Fri Aug 5 09:41:17 MST 2005

On Aug 5, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Tarpo, Louie wrote:

> We do extension by extension is our dialing plan because we have a
> wildcard at the end trapping all unused extensions and playing a
> "this extension is not in use" message and forwarding users into
> our IVR.  It depends on individual circumstances which works
> better.  We have 300 DIDs for our sip phones, and only 50 in use.
> Those 50 are also not sequential extensions.  So it's less painful
> to approach this way for our circumstance.  If you had all of your
> extensions in use, the wildcard would be easier and cleaner.  Then
> if you needed to remove one, include a [not-in-service] context
> above the in use extensions.

If all calls are handled exactly the same way then yes. But in my
world all extensions are not the same.

As an example some have voicemail, others do not. some are sip some
are zap.

By creating macros you have a macro for each class of extension and
your dialplan calls appropriately, but you need a specified line for
each. although a _match might catch all unspecified extensions would
have to try it. I find it much easier to troubleshoot/read/support by
more people to have each step explicitly spelled out. Although we do
use exten matching on outdials - don't really want to enter every
possible telephone number:)