[Asterisk-Users] Cisco IP Phones on Asterisk: chan_sip or chan_sccp

Joseph tech at ekn.com
Fri Aug 5 02:53:46 MST 2005

Johann Steinwendtner wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I 'd like to connect Cisco IP phones to *. (7940 & 7960)
> Shall I use SIP or SCCP. Which approach provides better support
> of features of the Cisco IP phones ?

SIP will cost you an extra $100 per phone to license the SIP software.

But the SIP has been working for a long time with * and is gernerally
quite stable.

On the other hand, SCCP comes with the phone, and the phone has many
more features.

However chan_sccp has not been tested heavily and is likely to have a
few bugs in it.

I would recommend that you set it up both ways and see for yourself.
The phone definitely feels nicer in sccp.

--

respectfully, Joseph