[Asterisk-Users] Features you'd like to see in a GUI?

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Thu Aug 4 07:34:19 MST 2005

Sherwood,

Your intentions are noble and your desire to build this, fullfills an
immediate need for business.

If your intention is just to build a GUI for Asterisk, read no further.
If your desire is to build something more purposeful, your best bet
would be to see the existing commercial GUI/HostedPBX offerings like
Pbxware and Switchware from bicomsystems.com
( http://www.bicomsystems.com)
and Thirdlane Technologies (http://www.thirdlane.com/opensource.htm) and
the Open Source software like AMP and try to emulate (or preferably
improve upon) them.

My suggestion is to create a "VOIP Business in a Box System" that has
inter-alia following list of modules:

1) GUI To configure Administer Asterisk Extensions across many servers
2) Postpaid and Prepaid Billing modules with realtime call progress
detection and call cut-off
3)CRM Module for customers to register and provide their information for
recurring billing.
4)Web based conference room management module
5)Web based click to dial and callback module

Many of these modules are already available on Open Source like
SugarCRM, AsreskiCC etc., and Asterisk at home CD contains AMP and SugarCRM
at this time, besides other Open Source utilities like PhpMyAdmin.

Here is the bottomline:
----------------------
The real need is for a commercially deployable solution that can create
a business, without too many additions to it.

Bicom Systems has promised for too long that their Pbxware and
Switchware can fullfill this need to create a business, but they never
deliverd their promise. PBXware and Switchware have been a total and
expensive disappointment to me and for the few who invested in them.

The story is similar with Thirdlane Technologies who promised a good
Asterisk Management Interface but they have not been able to deliver a
mature GUI to manage Asterisk, let alone deploying a Hosted PBX.

AMP fullfills this promise partially and I am impressed with it's
richness of features, to create a Open Source Hosted PBX where you don't
need to bill the customer.

AreskiCC Provides a module to run a Calling Card Business but not as a
Hosted PBX .

AMP Gives a nice Gui and can be used as a Corporate PBX but not as a
Commercial Hosted PBX as it does not have a billing system.

In summary a system that is a blend of AMP + AreskiCC + SugarCRM would
be a good mix of ingredients to build what I would call a "Business in a
Box" solution. There is money to make in such solutions.

The Business in a box solution could be any one of the following, with
the ingredient modules being varied.

1)Asterisk Calling Card Business in a Box
2)Asterisk Call Center Business in a Box
3)Asterisk Business Messaging Business in a Box
4)Asterisk Hosted Telephone and PBX business in a Box
  Etc etc.

My .02 cents on this.

Seshu Kanuri