[Asterisk-Users] How does TDM work?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Aug 2 06:31:56 MST 2005

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 06:35, Obelix wrote:
> I have seen the Asterisk info about TDMoE - does this mean that the
> Asterisk card will modulate the signal on the Ethernet cable to allow it
> plug directly into a proper TDM connection?

TDMoE is just a method of taking the 8000Hz, 8-bit ulaw/alaw audio from a TDM
interface and stuffing them into raw ethernet frames.  The destination MAC
must obviously be on the same ethernet network.  Different segments are fine
since any competent switch will be able to get the frames to their
destination.

In a nutshell.  Take a raw ethernet frame.  You have the ethernet header and
the payload.  Take the destination MAC and put it in the header, and take the
TDM data and put it in the payload.  There may be a little more in the
payload (timestamps I would suspect).  Send it out to the card.

That's it.

-A.