[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P REV I issues - ProSLIC vs TDM400P

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon Aug 1 21:48:00 MST 2005

The REV I card shows up in the PCI table as:

    02:05.0 Network controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Intel 537 (or
    02:05.0 Class 0280: e159:0001)
	    Subsystem: Unknown device b119:0001

But the REV E/F shows up as:

    02:0d.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface (or
    02:0d.0 Class 0780: e159:0001)
	    Subsystem: Unknown device b100:0003

One is class 0780, one is class 0280. I don't know if this normal,
but it might be an indication of the problem.

I managed to probe it with zaptel 1.0.8 correctly once after which
the box paniced.

    $ sudo /sbin/modprobe wcfxs zaptel
    kernel: Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
    kernel: Freshmaker version: 73
    kernel: Freshmaker passed register test
    kernel: Module 0: Installed -- AUTO FXS/DPO
    kernel: Module 1: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
    kernel: Module 2: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
    kernel: Module 3: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
    kernel: Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV I (4 modules)
    kernel: Registered tone zone 0 (United States / North America)

One restart later, it fails:

    kernel: Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL/misc/wcfxs.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL/misc/wcfxs.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL/misc/wcfxs.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL/misc/wcfxs.o: insmod wcfxs failed

Very confusing. Adding some printk()s to wcfxs.c, for example in
wcfxs_init() just before the call to pci_module_init() and as the
first command in wcfxs_init_one(), shows that pci_module_init()
gets called but wcfxs_init_one() never gets called.

In the PCI table of wcfxs_pci_tbl, if I add
    { 0xe159, 0x0001, 0xb119, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, (unsigned long) &wcfxsi },
(as done revision 1.116 of wctdm.c)

to it, the modprobe works (at least wcfxs_init_one() gets called):
    kernel: Freshmaker version: 73
    kernel: Freshmaker passed register test

But then, the full story is:
    kernel: Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
    kernel: Freshmaker version: 73
    kernel: Freshmaker passed register test
    kernel: Module 0: Installed -- AUTO FXS/DPO
    kernel: Module 1: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
    kernel: Module 2: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
    kernel: Module 3: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
    kernel: Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV I (4 modules)

and the next attempt gives me:
    kernel: Freshmaker version: 73
    kernel: Freshmaker passed register test
    kernel: ProSLIC on module 0, product 0, version 2
    kernel: ProSLIC on module 0 seems sane.
    kernel: ProSLIC on module 0 powered up to -74 volts (c6) in 10 ms
    kernel: Loop current set to 20mA!
    kernel: Post-leakage voltage: 48 volts
    kernel: ProSLIC on module 0 powered up to -75 volts (ca) in 0 ms
    kernel: Loop current set to 20mA!
    kernel: Calibration Vector Regs 98 - 107:
    kernel: 98: 11
    kernel: 99: 10
    kernel: 100: 00
    kernel: 101: 00