[Asterisk-Users] g729 liscence question

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Aug 1 15:46:13 MST 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 14:53, Innocent Evil wrote:
> I have a TDM400P with one FXS and one FXO..
> how many liscence(2) I will have to buy?

The licenses don't work that way.

If Asterisk has to rip apart or assemble a g729 stream for any reason, you'll
need a license to do so.  If you need to do it twice in the same period of
time, you'll need two.

Typically speaking you will need a license any time Asterisk needs to convert
betwen g729 and any other codec.  Your FXS and FXO ports use the slinear
audio format so any time you want to use one of the ports and connect to a
VOIP provider using g729 you'll be using a license.

Also, a license will be required any time Asterisk needs to "hear" the audio
stream from a g729 source.  This means if you want Asterisk to listen for
silence or voice, detect DTMF or mix audio from several sources.

If Asterisk is able to take a g729 frame and pass it along without doing
anything to it, no license is required.

Those last three paragraphs can be summed up by saying "a g729 license is
required any time Asterisk needs to transcode to or from a g729 audio
format."

HTH,
-A.