[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Hardware Architecture Group

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Apr 29 15:51:51 MST 2005

At 4:57 PM -0400 on 4/29/05, Daniel Salama wrote:
>On Apr 29, 2005, at 4:22 PM, snacktime wrote:
>
>>Personally I would buy an * box from someone like asaservers.com.  At
>>least companies like that really know their hardware, and if you tell
>>them the common issues with * they could probably put together a rock
>>solid system.
>>
>>Chris
>Does anyone have any experience with servers from
>siliconmechanics.com? Are they reliable? How does * run on them?
>
>Thanks
>
>- Daniel

I have had extensive experience with Silicon Mechanics machines, and
I have had nothing but the best interactions with the company and
their products.  Pricing has been decent, though I'm sure if I was
shopping for el-cheapo hardware I could get better.  However, I base
my purchasing decisions on quality of equipment and service, and
their price is certainly what I consider "inexpensive" when I balance
it against those two other criteria.

Sometimes they're a bit slow on shipping, as they build a lot of
their gear to order, but I can typically wait a week or so.  I've
ordered probably 30 or 40 systems from them in varying
configurations, and I've not had a return yet.

I don't know if they actually ship anything other than SuperMicro
motherboards, but I'd suggest specifying them in your order.  I've
had very good luck with those MB's in my Asterisk platforms.  Plus,
their on-line pricing and configuration tool really makes things easy
to get a price quote without dealing with salespeople (not that their
salespeople are bad, but it's just time-consuming trying to get
someone on the phone.)

This thread should probably move over to asterisk-biz if it's going
to be extended...

JT