[Asterisk-Users] Paging and intercom

Jacob Cazzell jcazzell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 14:21:29 MST 2005

Hello all,

We are considering implementing a new system based on Asterisk on the
back end.  I am very intrigued by the IP phones, but I have two
questions regarding paging and intercom functions.

I know that * supports these functions, but I'm not sure I fully
understand how.  On our existing phone system, if you dial an
extention the other end will beep and then setup an intercom channel
that's hands free for the called station.  I'm not sure how this would
be duplicated in *, or is it more of a function of the phone we use?

We also have an overhead paging system, our current system is tied
into a Valcom 3-zone paging system.  Would * support this paging
system?  How do you get a connection to it, an analog port?

These are probably my two biggest hurdles to overcome and I need some
pointers on how to implement or where to research my options.

Thanks!
Jacob