[Asterisk-Users] vmail.cgi: -rwsr-sr-x as root *still* won't read the files

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Thu Apr 28 22:23:48 MST 2005

mike castleman wrote:
> Try making sure you have installed the suid perl stuff if your OS needs
> it. Some kernels do not natively obey the setuid flag when executing
> scripts
>
> (On Debian, this involves installing the perl-suid package. Other
> Linux-based distributions probably need something similar.)

Drat.  Perl screams bloody murder if you try to just set its SUID bit,
which of course is dangerous as hell.

Grrrr.  I know there are patches out there that fix all of this.  I
wonder why none of them (I've found two so far, and seem to think I've
seen others as well) haven't ever been incorporated into the codebase.

This is far too much work for such a simple thing.

B.