[Asterisk-Users] How to Restrict Number of Lines

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Thu Apr 28 21:11:30 MST 2005

Hello,

I have the following scenario:

Main_Asterisk_Server <----IAX----> Client_Asterisk_Server <---->
Client_SIP_Stations

Basically, I have a master * server and I'm offering telephony services
to a client of mine. However, even though my client has 10 SIP
stations, they only want to pay for 4 telephone lines. How can I
configure the Asterisk servers so that if 4 SIP stations are on the
line, if the 5th one tries to make a call, he/she would get Congestion.
Also, if 4 of their SIP stations are on the line and a 5th incoming
line gets to the Main_Asterisk_Server, it should play a Busy tone and
hang up.

I know I could create a group of channels in my T1s in
Main_Asterisk_Server and whatever the size of that group is (e.g. 4),
that will restrict the client. However, given that I have many clients
with a similar server, I don't want to "dedicate" the channels on my
T1s to these clients. I just want to have a pool of channels from all
my T1s available to all my clients and restrict channel usage in some
other way.

Did I make any sense? Hope you understood what I'm asking for.

Thanks,
Daniel