[Asterisk-Users] voip connection problems

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Apr 28 18:52:14 MST 2005

To comment on all the different voip connection problems that are
popping up, this does not suprise me, a couple weeks ago the FCC
(america) ruled that all voip providers that connect to the PSTN
(vonage, broadvoice, voicepulse, etc) have to have CALEA support
(wiretap equipment for law enforcement).  Failure to comply is a $10,000
fine per day.

All these providers seem to be having problems during the same week
right after that, while I cant prove it I think that there are issues
relating to the installation of equipment to tap.

Vonage is using verisign's service for this, no doubt broadvoice is
using global crossing (whom they use 100% for PSTN integration).
Voicepulse, like vonage uses whichever company happens to have the best
rate in a given area.

http://www.telcodata.us/ has information if you are curious which phone
company is actually offering service.  While this does not have access
to number portability (would require realtime Ss7 access to be accurate)
it will work for most VoIP providers on the numbers they issue.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402