[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Hardware Recommendation

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Thu Apr 28 18:17:22 MST 2005

You can throw together a single P4 3GHz with 1GB RAM and 2 x 80GB SATA HD
for about $600. One of those can easily handle a Sangoma dual T1 card($900)
or a Digium quad T1 card($1400). For that you can have a system for about
$1500-$2000 that will be able to fully record 2 T1s(48 channels) worth of
Zap->SIP conversations. Putting two of those together with a nice big
fileserver will give you a lot of flexibility, as well as only a reduction
in capacity if one of the servers go down instead of a total outage, for
about the same overall price of a single high-end Dual Xeon server. Building
your system this way from the start will also allow it to scale much more
easily than using just a single very expensive server. You can just add
another 2 T1s of capacity at any time for just $1500.

I recommend only 50 or less recordings concurrently because that is the
ceiling that we discovered while trying Zap->SIP recording on both Dual
Processor server-class systems and single processor cheaper commodity
computers as well as on SCSI, IDE and SATA drives.

If anyone out the has reliabily done recording of more than 50 conversations
I would like to know the hardware architecture of your setup.

Thanks,

MATT---