[Asterisk-Users] Monitoring B chans and G.729 High Water Marks

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Thu Apr 28 16:29:26 MST 2005

George Pajari wrote:
> In capacity planning for production Asterisk servers it is essential to
> have an accurate statistical picture of the utilisation of finite
> resources such as disk space, CPU utilisation, B channels on PRIs, and
> G.729 codec licences.
>
> The first two have well defined measurement tools.
>
> The last two (B channels and G.729) can be measured in real time using
> "show channels" and "show g729" but there appears no way to obtain from
> Asterisk the maximum number of B channels that have been in use or the
> maximum number of g729 codecs that have been in use. Also there seem not
> to be any tools for collecting this information over time for
> statistical analysis.
>
> What do people do to monitor increases in channels/g729 licences so to
> plan ordering more of each?
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.

Just write something that runs the commands you want and puts the result
in a database.  Then use php or something to display the values.  If you
want it to look nice, use JPGraph...pretty simple.  I have these types
of set-ups for pings, peer times, etc.

You could also do something like:

read max value from astdb (database get x)
compare to current value
if current is larger, write it to astdb (database put x)
create an extension which does SayNumber on the max value in astdb.

I use this second method so that I can call in and find out how many
emails are waiting for me (a little silly seeing as I have no way yet of
filtering the messages and sending 800 emails to festival may be a bit
of overkill!).

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell