[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Hardware Recommendation

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Apr 28 16:26:25 MST 2005

Daniel,

Could you expand upon your experience recording to an NFS mounted drive.

We are looking to use a TDM-VoIP gateway to route 16+ spans to a single
Asterisk server.  We were hoping to Monitor using the following scheme:

- Monitor application executed on Asterisk server (no 'm' flag)
- Pick a codec that the Monitor application can record in natively so
that no transcoding is done on the leg files (can this be done?)
- Record the leg files to an NFS mounted drive on a remote machine
- Have soxmix take care of mixing and transcoding the leg files into the
desired format on the remote machine

According to you this now looks like a VERY BAD IDEA.

Does anyone out there have any experience using monitor to digitally
record large numbers of spans (16+) on a single Asterisk server using a
VoIP gateway instead of TDM cards?  Is it feasible?  We are trying to
keep the Asterisk server as slim as possible, but would like to stick to
one box so that we can have centralized queuing, configuration, and
reporting.

Has anyone had any luck using Monitor to record to an NFS mounted
drive?  Are there any other options to remove the overhead of the disk
subsystem when recording calls?

Thanks,

Matthew Roth
http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Running%20Asterisk%20on%20Debian