[Asterisk-Users] RE: Number of production asterisk systems (Christopher Jacob)

Greg Eaton Greg.Eaton at intelicoms.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 10:52:15 MST 2005

Chrisopher Jacob wrote,

> What I am trying to do is track down a rough idea of how many Asterisk
> systems are in production right now. Ideally as this information was
> gathered it could be sorted by country, state, industry, etc.

> Does anyone have any information, or any idea of where to start? Any
of the
> Digium guys on this list know if Digium attempts to track this sort of
> information?

Now that's a challenge..ok so define 'production' - I take that as
installed in a business evironment with more than 10 users, and taking
that definition and a wide stab in the dark, I bet theres no more than
50-100 production systems here in the UK. I base this guess on nothing
more than the number of units sold by one of the key 'installers' plus
how aware 'comms professionals' aka died in the wool Avaya/Lucent guys
are of the product (not very!). I'm also expecing that not that many
companies with 10+ users have run up their own boxes from scratch, but I
bet there are a few, especially if they are linux hounds.

In terms of finding out true factual data, in terms of reference perhaps
digium would share market data (but then they might not!) and we could
extrapolate from there, but given how much of a community is building up
around the product I would suggest some form of "self-registration".
i.e. you/someone sets up a webpage and then users are encourage to
'register' their systems on this web page, I guess with basic data such
as Country, Company, Industry, Location, Number of Sites, Number of
Users, usual daily call volume, gives us the basic metrics. Contact
information could be added for reference which might be of use.

HTH
Greg

Greg Eaton
Product Development Director