[Asterisk-Users] T1 Technology and VoIP Gateway Primer

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Apr 28 09:54:42 MST 2005

Asterisk Users / Asterisk Biz List Members,

About a week ago I cross-posted a message titled "Large Asterisk Setup
(~500 Concurrent Calls + Scalability)" to Asterisk-Users and
Asterisk-Biz.  For reference, the threads generated by that message are
archived at the following locations:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-April/102823.html
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-biz/2005-April/004590.html

First, I would like to thank you all for your excellent suggestions and
contributions. My misunderstanding of the Digium quad-span card's
scaling limitations was corrected (PCI bus traffic is not the problem,
it is the number of interrupts generated by the Zaptel drivers) and I
was directed to replace the Asterisk Slave Servers in this diagram
(http://home.comcast.net/~mroth01/LargeAsteriskSetup.gif) with a VoIP
gateway.

Following up on that suggestion, I began researching T-1 time division
multiplexing in order to understand where the DSP load on an Asterisk
server originates and the best options for purchasing a VoIP gateway to
offload that processing onto. The results of that research can be found
at the following links:

T-1 Multiplexing - PSTN Side (http://home.comcast.net/~mroth01/T1-PSTN.gif)
T-1 Multiplexing - CPE Side (http://home.comcast.net/~mroth01/T1-CPE.gif)
Basic T-1 Time Division Multiplexer
(http://home.comcast.net/~mroth01/T1-TDM.gif)
Telephony Glossary
(http://home.comcast.net/~mroth01/telephony-glossary.html)
Sources (http://home.comcast.net/~mroth01/sources.html)

My understanding of the T-1 TDM and the PSTN side is pretty solid, as it
is mainly based off of Intel Corporation's T1/E1 Technology Primer (see
Sources), but the CPE side is largely deduced from what I knew about the
PSTN side.  There may be holes or mistakes, so I would appreciate any
corrections or additions that you can offer. Specifically, I would like
a detail of the TDM - VoIP conversion process, similar to the basic T-1
TDM one I provided.

The differences between a T-1, DS-1, and ISDN are subtle and not
universally agreed upon.  For a discussion of these issues see the
following links:

What's the diff between a T1 and a DS1
(http://pbxtech.info/showthread.php?t=1100)
PRI setup (http://pbxtech.info/showthread.php?t=1250)

In closing, I have a few questions:

- Is my understanding of using the same codecs and signaling protocols
on both sides of the Asterisk server in order to circumvent transcoding
and conversions on the server correct?

- Are there any other host-intensive processes that I should consider
offloading to the gateway, such as echo cancellation?

- What does the PCM µ-law codec used in T-1 multiplexing map to in terms
of Asterisk codecs (G.711 µ-law, perhaps)?

- What codec does the Monitor application use when digitally recording
calls (if possible, I would like to avoid transcoding the streams when
recording and let sox handle the conversions on a different box)?

Thank you for your time,

Matthew Roth
http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Running%20Asterisk%20on%20Debian