[Asterisk-Users] Cisco SIP Firmware Price Increase

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Apr 28 08:16:09 MST 2005

>  >> > Not that I know of I am a Cisco partner and the Category 1 contract
>  >>is still at least half that or less.
>  >>
>  >>He was talking about the SIP-license... Not the SmartNET. If you have a
>  >>SmartNET, you CAN download the SIP load but to use it, you need the
> license.
>  >
>  >
>  >I think that's the point; to use sip "please pay an additional $150US".
>  >Downloading the image is supposedly illegal unless you have a license.
>  >Now, what is the true list price of a new 7960 with sip? (Be careful to
>  >read the license terms before answering that question.)
>  >

> You suffer from two fundamental misunderstandings:

I don't think so, but maybe we're bumping up against the words that
are being used here. Split this into three questions, and answer those
questions with some assurance that legal licensing issues are addressed.

1) part of the discussion was "if you owned a 7960", what is required
to obtain a sip image and legally use it (that obviously assumes some
other image is installed on the 7960)?

2) if one ordered a brand new 7960 from an authorized cisco reseller,
what exactly 'must' be purchased (with costs) to use that 7960 in a
sip environment?

3) if one purchased a 7960 on ebay (or some non-cisco reseller), what
exactly must be ordered to legally use that phone in a sip environment?