[Asterisk-Users] Confused on G723 and G729

Pedro traci.asterisk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 07:13:49 MST 2005

In your case, where you will need the license is on the box that your
phones register to.  For exampe, when someone checks voicemail,
encoding takes place, therefore you need a license.

Look at it this way:

[g729 provider] ---------(SIP or IAX)----------- [g729 asterisk server]

- no license required in the above connection if using g729 solely

[g729 asterisk server containing non-g729 audio files]

- a license is required above for each non-g729 audio file or stream
that needs to be encoded to be sent out as g729 to the g729 SIP Phone
(ie. voicemail, IVR prompts, etc.).

Hope that makes sense.