[Asterisk-Users] Panasonic KX-TD1232 Signaling

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Apr 27 14:51:27 MST 2005

Dan Morin wrote:

> My company has an old Panasonic KX-TD1232 phone system that they are
> using.  I want to interface my Asterisk box with this system for a
> good conferencing solution.  I have two X100P clone cards in my server
> for testing.  They are hooked up to the analogue phone ports on the
> back of the digital phones.
>

> My problem is that the Panasonic system does not do hang-up signaling
> so the X100Ps don't know when to hangup the phone.  I've put a volt
> meter on the line and the voltage does not change at all when the
> Panasonic Phone is hung up.  I've gotten it to work sometimes with the
> busy detect because the Panasonic system provides a busy signal when
> the other end hangs up, however, this is not ideal for voicemail and
> conferences, especially because it only works two out of three times.

Panasonic systems provide no DC change on station ports. Remember this
is a small PBX, NOT a Central Office, so there really would be no use
for that function.
You can program those ports as Voice Mail ports, however, and get some
in band signaling sent.
This switch, as well as the earlier K-XT 1232, make no provisions for
any tenant sharing , so you will not see a trunk identifier sent to the
VM ports.
 From memory, the DTMF sent is * followed by a number. A string can also
be sent TO the Panasonic to turn on MW  leds on their phones ( no POTS
MW though )
The Panasonic tones are US standard, but Asterisk doesn't seem to be
smart enough yet to listen and detect dialtone at all, and Panasonic is
probably returning reorder rather than busy ( 120 IPM vs 60 ) so
Asterisk fails there as well.
A digitgrabber on the VM port will tell you a lot.

John Novack