[Asterisk-Users] Fail over solutions

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Apr 27 01:39:00 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 11:17 +0300, Zoa wrote:
> Could you explain me some more how i could use dual controllers ? Is
> this done with special harddisks ? What hardware do i need to do this ?

We used a winchester drive array, which is not cheap, and way overkill
for asterisk.  EMC makes similar boxes.  The one we had was a 19 inch
cabinet and all drives were RAID.  It came with integrated controllers
each was dual ported so the machine could do 2x SCSI speeds, and there
were 2 controllers integrated into the rack so both systems could
benefit from this (ie 4 ports).

I am unsure if there are smaller cheaper solutions, a multi-terabyte
raid array would be underused for just voicemail unless you get a TON of
voicemail, and I cant imagine asterisk being able to handle the clients
that would require that.

I would suggest googling multiport drive array

I have not seen any ability to connect multiple controllers to the same
disk, so you have to get a special controller that allows for this type
of connectivity.
--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402