[Asterisk-Users] Basic telephony hardware questions

Min Hwan Chang minchang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:23:18 MST 2005

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

The cheapest way would be to buy four X100P cards. These are single
line FXO PCI cards.  But that leaves the question of your FXS...

So yes, a TDM04B  would take care of your outside POTS lines coming
into the Asterisk Box.  The RJ11s plug directly into the card.   (This
is the solution our office currently uses)

Now for the analog phones: If you want all the phones to have a
separate extension, you need something like a Digium IAXy or Sipura
SPA2000 for each line.  (I'm not sure if you can connect more than one
analog phone to these?)  THe other solution is to get 3 TDM40Bs, which
would take care of 9 lines. The RJ11 plug directly into this also.
Just make sure that eachTDM40B card has its own IRQ.

The IP phones are simple, I would recommend something like a Polycom
IP300, Grandstream, or Snom.

For connecting Asterisk and IP phones to the network, all you need is
extra ethernet ports on your switch and lots of ethernet cable :).
Then you are pretty much set to go.

As long as the computers using softPhones are on the same network, you
should have no problem.  All you do is configure the Asterisk to
acknowledge the softphone and configure the softphone to acknowledge
Asterisk.  Besides a little configuring of the menus, phones and dial
plans, you'll be all set.

The TE410/415 cards are I believe T1 cards that connect via a T1
connection directly to the phone company.  So basically the digital
signal is sent directly to the phone ocmpany instead of being switched
to analog then back to digital. better voice quality yadda yadda.

Again, if any of the information above is incorrect, someone please
correct. Thank you.

Regards,
Min .