[Asterisk-Users] Auto Fax transfer problem?

Andrew C. Brown andy_lists at bananabread.net
Tue Apr 26 18:17:33 MST 2005

I've been confused by the auto fax detect behavior. * reliably detects
fax tones and initiates the xfer, but for some reason the destination
extension usually disconnects immediately before ever ringing.

I can dial the fax extension directly (666) and the fax always
rings/answers no problem. But with the auto xfer, seldom such luck.
Sometimes it -does- successfully ring and answer on transfer, but only
sometimes. The instant disconnect is the more frequent outcome.

Ideas anyone?

Here's what Asterisk log looks like on one of these failures.
 From Zap/1-1 I dial 345 so Asterisk answers and can hear tones. The two
steps "Called 6" and "Hungup Zap/6-1" happen with near zero delay so 6
doesn't ever get to ringing:

    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Executing VoiceMail("Zap/1-1", "u222") in new stack
    -- Playing 'vm-theperson' (language 'en')
    -- Redirecting Zap/1-1 to fax extension
  == Spawn extension (andy-default, fax, 0) exited non-zero on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Executing Goto("Zap/1-1", "andy-fax|s|1") in new stack
    -- Goto (andy-fax,s,1)
    -- Executing Dial("Zap/1-1", "Zap/6|35") in new stack
    -- Called 6
    -- Hungup 'Zap/6-1'
  == Spawn extension (andy-fax, s, 1) exited non-zero on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'

Here are the relevant parts of extensions.conf

[andy-default]
exten => fax,1,Goto(andy-fax,s,1)
exten => 345,1,Voicemail(u222)

; Fax Modem
exten => 666,1,Dial(Zap/6)
exten => 666,102,Playtones(busy)
exten => 666,103,Busy

[andy-fax]
exten => s,1,Dial(Zap/6,35)
;exten => s,2,Hangup
exten => s,102,Answer
exten => s,103,Playback(carried-away-by-monkeys)
exten => s,104,Playback(lots-o-monkeys)
exten => s,105,Dial(Zap/1)
exten => t,1,Goto(s,102)