[Asterisk-Users] Is There Media Accelerator For Better AsteriskCalls

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Tue Apr 26 13:58:39 MST 2005

The bandwidth numbers you are talking about, I would presume they are
Kilo Bytes and not Kbps. Please note that the Interent bandwidth is
always referred in kbps (Kilo Bits Per Second) and not as Bytes, which
is referred for data file sizes and disk space consumed.

Ulaw at 9.3 Kbs oscillating around 5kbs to 9.3 kbs,
and gsm with speed of 3.1 kbs to 1 kbs

Multiplying that with 8 you get numbers like 72Kbps and 24Kbps, which
close to what these two codecs can performa optimally.

If you want to save on the bandwidth cost, the only way you can do that
is by adopting a low bandwidth codec like G729 or G723, which consumes
much less bandwidth and can give equal or better quality calls.

Seshu