[Asterisk-Users] Re: *HOWTO* : using mime-construct with outlook - send fax to email recipient

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Tue Apr 26 10:50:18 MST 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:50:07 -0400, Brian Dingman wrote:

> Can anybody maybe help me a little here. I made the changes below...
> but I don't think I did them exactly correct. When I get a fax now, it
> is named:
> _var_spool_asterisk_fax_1114530379.5.tif.pdf
>
> I think the problem is with the second line.
> $p .= cont "Content-Type: $type;\n name=" .
>  token_quote($arg) . "\n"

Why don't you just use the metamail package instead? Here's how
I did it:

[macro-faxreceive]
exten => s,1,SetVar(FAXFILE=/var/spool/asterisk/fax/${UNIQUEID}.tif)
exten => s,2,DBGet(EMAILADDR=extensionemail/${MACRO_EXTEN})
exten => s,3,rxfax(${FAXFILE})
exten => s,103,SetVar(EMAILADDR=jesse at wingnet.net)
exten => s,104,Goto(3)

[fax]
exten => 2201,1,Macro(faxreceive)
exten => 2202,1,Macro(faxreceive)
exten => 2203,1,Macro(faxreceive)

exten => h,1,system(/usr/local/sbin/mailfax ${FAXFILE} ${EMAILADDR} "${CALLERIDNUM} ${CALLERIDNAME}")

NOTE: asterisk automatically jumps to the [fax] context if you are using
faxdetect in your zapata.conf

NOTE2: mailfax is a custom script I wrote. This is what it looks like:

---------------------- START mailfax script ------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

FAXFILE=$1
RECIPIENT=$2
FAXSENDER=$3
FAXID=`date +%j%H%M%S`
tempfoo="fax"
TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}XXXXXX`
TMPFILE_A=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}XXXXXX`.pdf

/usr/bin/tiff2pdf -p letter "${FAXFILE}" > "${TMPFILE_A}"
metasend -b -t "$RECIPIENT" -s "Fax from $FAXSENDER" \
  -f "${TMPFILE}" -m 'text/plain' -n \
  -m 'application/pdf;name="fax'${FAXID}'.pdf"' -f "${TMPFILE_A}" \
  -D 'PDF Fax Document'

rm "${TMPFILE}"
rm "${TMPFILE_A}"
---------------------- END mailfax script ------------------------------

I based this config on the excellent information found at the following
website:
    http://scottstuff.net/scott/archives/000152.html

But note that I heavily modified the mailfax script from the original
version. Why?
    1.) The original used the Perl mime-construct script, which has a lot
        of annoying Perl dependencies.
    2.) The original didn't send usable MIME attachments to me. Neither
        KMail or Evolution could successfully decode the attachment
        because the email contained no text/plain part.
My script uses metasend from the metamail package, instead of
mime-construct, and it adds an empty text/plain section at the beginning
of the email so that KMail and Evolution and probably other mail clients
can decode the attachment properly. The trade off is that it has to use
temporary files. Uck. :)

Also, you'll probably have to change some of the paths for things like
tiff2pdf and metasend.

HTH!