[Asterisk-Users] What small PC can take 8 FXS + 8 FXO cards

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Apr 25 05:04:27 MST 2005

On April 25, 2005 07:39 am, ht at phonitel.com wrote:
> I would like to setup a 8 FXS + 8 FXO interface using the X100P Cards. The
> problem now comes in the PCI ports. Is there any PC that can handle 16
> ports?
>
> What is most optimal solution?

The most optimal solution would be a TE110P + a channel bank.  The TE110P is
about US$500 and a channel bank with 8FXS and 8FXO (with option to expand to
8 more ports) will run probably US$700-1000 on ebay.

There is 1 PCI card in your computer and a piece of external equipment (the
channel bank).  You could go with 4 TDM400Ps to get the same number of ports
but you will undoubtedly have trouble with sharing IRQs and the interrupt
overhead is going to eat you alive.

Channel banks are great; the better ones (Adit600) can do far-end disconnect
supervision and I think pretty much all of them do dynamic impedance
adjustment, meaning they're FAR less prone to echo.  Just about anyone's FXS
modules work, but be careful with FXO modules on channel banks.  Access Bank
I and IIs do *NOT* do far-end disconnect, meaning if someone on the other
side hangs up, Asterisk won't be able to tell.

-A.