Which protocol? was Re: [Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 215

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sun Apr 24 13:02:43 MST 2005

On 24 Apr 2005, at 18:53, Kumara Jayaweera wrote:

> Hi all,
>     What is the best client's protocol for my softphones in Windows
> pcs? and
>     what is the best way for connecting clients, I meant should I use
> one
>     protocol for all the clients or some mix (SIP/IAX/oh323) of
> protocols?
> what
>     is better?

Tricky question.
Best to look at it the other way around. Which softphones
can you use/license/buy? What features do you need?

I use SIP for PCs on the office LAN because it gives
me a wide choice of softphones and the internal
firewalling is in my control.

I use IAX over the WAN because it goes through NAT and
firewalls much more easily, but there are fewer softphones.

I never use H323.

Tim

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/