[Asterisk-Users] T1 E&M wink issues - bad int'l dial-out and occasional dropped calls

bill black wcblack2 at mchsi.com
Sun Apr 24 08:44:36 MST 2005

Anyone have any ideas here?

We are using 8 channels of E&M Wink with a T100P for outgoing LD and
incoming tollfree numbers and are apparently connected to a Nortel
DMS-250 at the CO.   We are receiving ANI & DNIS just fine and can
dial-out domestically with DTMF but have two issues that are still
unresolved:

1) We cannot dial-out internationally with an 011 prefix (or any other
prefix that we can think of).  Qwest claims (1) they never get
international calls and (2) domestic calls are routed to their LD
service as 00001NXXNXXXXXX instead of 1NXXNXXXXXX.   Is some form of
prefix/suffix needed for DTMF dialing over an E&M wink channel?  (e.g.
something like the *ANI*DNIS* for incoming.) 011 clearly doesn't work as
a prefix and Qwest's response has invariably been 'there is something
wrong with your PBX' :(   Curiously if we follow an
011+international-number with a * we get a recording that we have not
entered sufficient digits to complete the call whereas without the * we
just get a congestion beep from the far end.

2) Once or twice a day the customer is getting calls dropped.  The log
shows the following:

Apr 21 13:15:51 VERBOSE[22664]:     -- Hungup 'Zap/7-1'
Apr 21 13:15:52 VERBOSE[22664]:     -- Starting simple switch on
'Zap/7-1'      Apr 21 13:15:53 WARNING[22664]: getdtmf on channel 7:
Operation now in progress
Apr 21 13:15:53 VERBOSE[22664]:     -- Hungup 'Zap/7-1'

It appears that we see the line go back on-hook, hangup but then see it go off-hook again and treat it as another incoming call that never gets a DTMF input when in fact the call has just been dropped.  We've verified that we are not sharing interrupts, we are on run level 3 etc. zttest shows (so far) a minimum of 99.987%.  Can anyone think of what might be causing this or what we could ask Qwest regarding possible diagnostics?

3) Finally, what level of dropped calls is generally considered acceptable?  Like the dead-pixel issue with LCDs this is pretty subjective but is there an industry number that is typical? (We are presently at ~1% due to this issue.)

Thanks to all for any shared wisdom.  Bill