[Asterisk-Users] if outgoing call fails with provider 1 then auto try provider 2

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Apr 23 07:23:47 MST 2005

> When someone teminates a call with my softphone to my
> asterisk server i want asterisk to try provider 1
> first and if the call does not go through because the
> provider is having problems then it will try provider
> 2 gracefully.
>
> I realize that "the provider is having problems"
> statement is hard to descrribe. There could be so many
> problems! For example:
>
> 1) an account password got changed.
> 2) account was accidentally disabled.
> 3) network problems of any kind.
> 4) "constant busy"(I have heard of this happening
> sometimes?)
> 5) "iax2 show peers" show them having a problem.
> 6) use your imagination, there are lots more
>

> I have searched the wiki and other sources and cannot
> find an extensions.conf example that will accomplish
> this. If someone can post an exapmle I will add it to
> the wiki. I am trying to make things as bulletproof as
> possible. Thanks, Tom

There are no real examples that would address your points. The
primary reason is that your * can dispatch a call to a provider
and the provider will accept that handshaking call. But, if
they are having internal call-completion issues, there is no
way for you to know that. You could get some sort of busy,
dead air, etc.

You could probably design some sort of timer-based timeout,
but what indication would you use to indicate the call was
successful vs unsuccessful?

There are several ways to address whether your * is successful
in reaching your provider's equipment, but that's about it.