[Asterisk-Users] using * for Internet call waiting

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Thu Apr 21 14:19:47 MST 2005

Gary Carr wrote:

> Wondering if it is possible or if something already exist to setup * to
> offer Internet Call Waiting. For those that do not know what it is, it's
> a small application that runs on a users computer that will pop up a
> window letting them know they have a incoming call and who it is from
> then they can choose to take the call which will disconnect their dialup
> modem and ring their phone or send the call to voice mail.

That doesn't really make sense if the * box is in your house because
if the phone line is tied up for a dialup call, then the * box doesn't
have a phone line to receive the call either (unless you had call hunting
in which case you wouldn't need the feature in the first place).  This
sounds like the sort of feature that can only be offered on the
central office side which can know your line is tied up and then know
to email/alert you.

The other scenario is having an * box in a call center that is forwarding
calls to agents and notifies them by TCP/IP if when it tries their
extension and gets a busy signal.  This sounds possible, but I don't
think it's what you meant.

Steve