[Asterisk-Users] 802.1p , precedence and TOS

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 21 12:52:08 MST 2005

Eugenio De Vena wrote:

>well tos is already set and working ( I debugged the packet in and out ) and
>they work
>but to and precedence work at layer 3 i.e. in the ip header so they are
>considered by routers
>and layer3 switches. I want the 802.1p switch to pass voice traffic
>priorized on the lan not the wan.
>The way to do this is at level 2 ( mac level ) . The only language switch
>understand, because they do not
>go at IP level ( at least 3com 3300 ... )

Ah sorry. You did say 3Com 3300. Yes you are screwed. If you'd consider
a different
switch perhaps you could gain some additional control over packet
forwarding. On the
Extreme Summit switches you can mark, remark at the ingress port the
802.1p COS
 by examining the IP precedence /DSCP. This allows an IP phone (for
example) to
set IP precedence and the ingress switch to add the 802.1p COS tag on
the way
into the network. Just a thought.