[Asterisk-Users] asterisk home wiring question

Brian Leyton bleyton at cpe-corp.com
Thu Apr 21 10:25:56 MST 2005

Even if you choose not to use his other suggestions, I strongly agree with
Wiley's idea of using cat-5 instead of cat-3.  The difference in cost is
minimal, and it will give you much more flexibility down the road.  You
could even terminate the cat-5 with an RJ-45, and plug your RJ-11 phone cord
into it.  It will work fine, and that way you don't have to re-do the jacks
later when you decide to go all IP.

Back at the distribution point, you can terminate everything on an
inexpensive cat-5 patch panel, and then cross-connect to whatever you like -
ATA, Asterisk box, Ethernet switch, whatever.

Brian Leyton
IT Manager
Commercial Petroleum Equipment